Saturday, August 05, 2006

Yeah this one was long in coming!!!

Ok so as you know, I haven't been on the internet in like 40 days and can I say alot has happened in that time...So I beg you to bear with me as I try to communicate all that I've learned and done in that time...

I guess firstly I would have to talk about how summer camp impacted me...To say the least, camp was amazing...Pastor Adam is the man; he's such a good speeker/communicator and he knows how to fire you up...so basically that's what camp did for me...it fired me up...it made me realize even more that christianity was never and will never be about me, but only about my Lord...It convicted me "again" to abandon myself to Him, surrender everything, and live completly for Him, guided by Him, devoted to Him...It got me fired up about school, which is something I'm normally not...I was ready for school to start like the day we got back from camp...but alas its only 4 days away... :-) And finally it convicted me on dedication...I'm a hot cold kinda guy most of the time...and can i tell you that is not the way to be...when I get something in my head I devote all of my energy to doing it...the only downside is the thing i'm on fire about normally doesn't last that long...kinda like a phase....God convicted me that He is not a phase...He is my life, my everything, my all-in-all...so needless to say camp showed me some things about myself...

After camp HPC had VBS which was totally crazy...on one of the days the kids from the Green group actually tackled me and brought me to the ground...I was scared I was going to smush one of them...lol... Camp really made me appreciate parents...I honestly don't know how they do it...I love kids and all, but this camp definitely showed me that I am not ready to be a parent...way to much work...but it also inspired me...it showed me how great kids are and what great parenting and great leadership can do in the life of a kid...I think what i enjoyed the most about camp was seeing all those little kids jump up and down to those corny songs...lol...

Oh and between those two events, I have also been helping out at the annex, going on Serve Team outreaches, and attending Equip classes...all of which have stretched and grew me...reaching out to people on the street has given me a desire to be bold and not care what people think...the first time was kinda scary, but after that i got the hang of it and had no problem walking up to complete strangers...working at the annex has given me an appreciation for all of the many people that it takes to run a church...kinda like the whole Corinthians "one body is made up of many parts"...I forgot to mention that obviously I wasn't the only Equip student working at the annex, there where a whole slew of us...the point i'm making is that one person in particular taught me something that I think is invaluable...that person taught me what it is to be a humble servant...what it means to serve and to expect no recognition or praise for the job...that person taught me what a true servant looks like...thank you...and finally the Equip classes have grow me as a leader...the skills that I have learned during this class will, no doubt, be invaluabe as I progress and begin to lead people...the book T.O. gave us, "max X" has really stretched me in how I influence those around me...

But I'd have to say that what taught me the most wasn't Camp, Equip, Serve Team, or working at the Annex, but the time I spent with God while not being on the internet...by not focusing on myspace and all the other junk that has infected the web, I have been able to refocus my attention on the only thing that really matters: Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior...I think one scripture that has really stuck out to me in all this time would have to be Colossians 3:17 "and whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." man talk about a stab in the chest...in all the things I do or say...it really makes you step back and evaluate how you act, what you say, and what you think...its funny how that one, small, simple word can be so weighty: all...Everything...wow...I can honestly say that I have been trying to live out this scripture...and i can honestly say that I fail more than I succeed, but by God's grace and strength i get back up and keep pressing forward...

I encourage everyone to stay dedicated to the call of Christ...stay dedicated to seeking and pursuing Him above all else...it's hard, I know...I've failed way more times than I've succeeded, but its funny, Christ always finds a way of getting my attention again...He's very persistant...but don't make Him chase you...we should be the ones running after Him...He's given us so much and all He asks in return is Total Surrender...I'm ready...are you?...I want His will for my life above anything else...I want the thing called Self in me to be crucified with Christ to where it's no longer me people see, but Christ...I want to be so full of His Spirit that I'll be walking down the road and I'll hear the voice of God tell me to tell the lady on the street next to me somehting that will bring her closer to God...I want people to long to know Christ the way I know Christ just by being by me, not for me but for Him...I long for the day when He welcomes me home with those sweet words, "well done, good and faithful servant"

5 Comments:

Blogger tori ohlerking said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:24 PM  
Blogger tori ohlerking said...

wow. that's incredible.

that really fired me up! especially the part about doing everything in the name of Jesus. honestly, i haven't really remembered to do that lately. so thanks for posting that-
kind of cool how God can speak to you through a blog. lol.
but He can't through a myspace. jk. :-D
c u later.
-tori

8:26 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Awesome.
That is the only word that I can think of to describe it all. If everyone at Refuge had that mindset, we could take Baton Rouge in a heartbeat (or maybe two!?!). Anyway, I am excited to see what God is doing in your life. You are going to turn out into a great leader. Keep running after Christ and everything else will turn out all right.
late,
SKittles

11:31 AM  
Blogger JordanGautreau said...

Thanks ya'll for the comments...its a blessing to know that I have people that support me...thanks a bunch... :-)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

naughty.... :-Q

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home