Monday, April 30, 2007

Active Compassion

So my mom gave me this really good book for easter call "a long way gone". I'm not done yet, but basically it's about this young boy who become displaced by the war in his country, sierra leonne. Like i said i'm not done yet, but already God is speaking to me. With reading this book and watching Invisible Children and Blood Diamond, God is really challenging me with Action. I mean like i went to the Displace me thing this past Saturday, but it doesn't feel like enough. i want to do something. i want to go.

Tweeze said something last Wednesday about Charles Young. Charles said before he left to become a missionary that it "isn't enough to just send money anymore." I'm beginning to feel the same way, just not quite to that extent. LIke don't get me wrong, i want to go over there and like NOW but i know that God wants me to stay here and do Elevate first. But it's no longer enough for me to just talk about helping. I want to do something. God's put it on my heart to support a missionary, possibly Charles and Kristen. I just feel like if i can't go over there then i need to support those that are. i guess it kinda goes along that whole sowing and reaping principle.

I love my God. He's so awesome. He's been challenging me to take action. You know, "active compassion" is what i've kind of come to label it. It's like the love we have for Christ has to flow out of us onto others. JUSTICE. I read these two scriptures today in my quiet time.

amos 5:21-24
5:21
"I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies.
5:22
Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them.
5:23
Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.
5:24
But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

This speaks a lot to me. It shows me it's more than just offering sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice. It's about your heart.

And then amos 6:1-6

6:1
Woe to you who are complacent in Zion, and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria, you notable men of the foremost nation, to whom the people of Israel come!
6:2
Go to Calneh and look at it; go from there to great Hamath, and then go down to Gath in Philistia. Are they better off than your two kingdoms? Is their land larger than yours?
6:3
You put off the evil day and bring near a reign of terror.
6:4
You lie on beds inlaid with ivory and lounge on your couches. You dine on choice lambs and fattened calves.
6:5
You strum away on your harps like David and improvise on musical instruments.
6:6
You drink wine by the bowlful and use the finest lotions but you do not grieve over the ruin of Joseph.

When i was reading this, i couldn't help but think of how comfortable i get in my own little world. I don't think of those that don't have it as good as me. idk i just want to get out there and do something

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Head said...

hey friend, have you finished that book yet?? let me know, because i saw it in starbucks today and was like "GAHHH, i need to read it!!"

you're awesome!!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah Head said...

now for a real comment...

we had this talk on Wednesday, but i completely understand the active compassion thing! i'm so sick of just SAYING i'll change the world... i have gottt to just do it!

and i understand how emotional and compassion filled you become once watching invisible children, going to displace me and watching blood diamond..

i just want to help make a difference.. but actually DO it ya know?

5:27 PM  
Blogger tori ohlerking said...

hey "dude"...:)

you're speech was INCREDIBLE tonight. all of us were amazed!

when i got home, i randomly flipped to acts 3:12 in my Bible and it said "peter saw his opportunity and addressed the crowd.".

idk..it made me think about how you just saw the opportunity and took it...

it's so cool!!


well...congratulations!
-tori

9:24 PM  
Blogger JordanGautreau said...

Thanks for the comments guys...and yes i've finished the book and i'll keep it in my car for when i see you next...

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home